Friday, April 24, 2009

Strength in Sunshine.

On Monday the skies in Sydney were grey and threatening. 
The whole day felt tense, cold and acted as a little memo that winter was rapidly approaching. 
As a definite fan of Summer and a girl who last winter wanted to crawl into a hole and stay there forever, I felt anxious.
I wondered if this winter I'd feel the same, if my brain would override my body and refuse to let me feel intense happiness without sunlight to direct it.

On Tuesday the grey line on the horizon broke and water cascaded from the sky for hours. I was reminded of the day my eldest sister left home. Entering her room after returning home from school and seeing empty cupboards, missing objects and marks on walls that pictures had once covered. I remembered sitting on a mattress, looking through the large glass window, out to the falling rain. 

When the skies hold up, it is easy to feel anxious. 
When the rain begins to fall we are no longer anticipating it's beginning. 
We can stay inside and watch out our little window until we see the raindrops falling less frequently. 

It's a matter of patience and not of strength once the rain has started to fall. 
We have the ability to conquer it by taking shelter, by taking out our drawing pad and drawing pictures of the magic sun.

Eventually our drawings become so realistic that we begin to find it difficult to differentiate between them and reality.

Perhaps that is what is meant when the highly esteemed "they" talk about 'creating your own happiness'.


I'll draw some sun for you.



For Elks.

3 comments:

icedgurl said...

hi! blogwalking in the afternoon! nice blog! :-

rushka said...

Thank you! So nice to hear it!

thea said...

aw, that's so sad, and happy, I'm putting you on the visionaries.

anth.
x